Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Visit..

Special moms everywhere know that outings with our kids can be a challenge. We don’t know what to expect. Things can go either way and usually it is beyond our control to fix the situation. With that in mind, I prayed hard this weekend that Alex’s visit with her paternal grandmother and aunts will go ok. I must admit that, compared to previous years, the past few gatherings had not been bad so I was very hopeful.

It’s a shame that, since Alex’s birth, we have not had a lot of chances to visit grammie because she lives a little bit far. All you special moms probably understand what I mean when I say that a long car ride may wreck havoc on a special kid’s mood thus leaving them upset before the visit even starts.

This was a special week. It was grammie’s birthday week and aunties were visiting. We really wanted to enjoy seeing everyone. I crossed my fingers as we started the car ride!

My daughter must have sensed my desire for perfection for this afternoon. She enjoyed her favorite music playing from the car’s CD player and was very excited to see her grandmother and aunts. She made me proud during that visit as she made the rounds kissing all the adults as well as acting the cutest and best that she can be. She must have realized that grammie wasn’t feeling well for she never tried to climb on her lap or tire her in any way. She spent time watching her Disney shows humming and smiling with the songs on the TV. She had so much fun that she didn’t want to leave to go home later in the evening.

My heart swelled with love and admiration as we completed this visit. We were actually acting just like any other family visiting the grandparents. Alex was so good that we forgot all about special-needs and all its complications. The only special part about the whole thing was the special bond shared among all of us as we enjoyed Alex’s display of affection for her grammie and aunts..

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: