Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Financial Future..

When you become a mom of a special child, you start entering a new world and learning all there is to learn to help your child. The more tools you have, the better equipped you are to fight for what your child needs. Trust me, there is a lot to learn. It is a life long university that, usually, doesn’t graduate you with a degree. You do become certified and well versed in a variety of fields but you don’t ever get to the end. I am not saying this to discourage you, by no means, I mean this as an encouragement to let you know that the more you learn, the better special mom you become. The road may be bumpy but hang in there and keep on those Internet searches, phone calls, therapy visits and support groups.

With all that said, I must admit that it took me a few years to become familiar with the “Special Needs Trust” that can be set up to ensure that our special child’s financial future is taken care of. This kind of legal entity has to be completed by an attorney in conjunction with a financial planner. The document will list and spell out all the needs for the child so parents don’t have to worry if something happens to them. They may rest assured that all their child’s needs will be met since they had a role in listing their input and desires for their child’s comfort.

My husband and I were able to work with an attorney who completed the documents needed for my daughter’s Special Needs Trust and now she has one set up. We are more relieved that that aspect of being a special parent has been taken care off. All I needed to do is take the completed legal paperwork to the bank and complete the procedure.

During my recent search on the Internet, I was amazed to find many books written on the subject. I have included an image of one with this posting. This book, among others, can be found at Amazon.com. I have added a search box on this page to enable parents to have easy access to this book or others in this field.

Good luck on your search!!

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: