Monday, October 29, 2007

My Hopes..

"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations
I may not reach them,
but I can look up and see their beauty,
believe in them, a
nd try to follow them."
-unknown

Not a day goes by without my hoping and praying for the best of things to happen to my daughter. Usually, that’s what every parent would do for his or her child. However, when you become a special mom, you tend to hope and pray just a little harder. Not just for your child’s well being but for yours also. Seeing your child going through difficult times whether it being medical, physical, emotional or behavioral is very tough. After all, our role as mothers is to ease up the suffering and make everything right. We feel immense guilt and frustrations when we are unable to do that. We are thrown to the sidelines and left to watch as our child progresses through life making the most of things. It’s a tough role. We sacrifice many aspects of our lives since we have been stripped of our control over the simple fact of just being a normal parent.

As a special mom, I have also suffered the guilt, anger and fear but I’ve also kept clinging on to all the hopes, faith and prayers. I believe that is what has been pulling me through all these years. It is without doubt that those were my anchors during the first eight months of Alex’s life that was spent at the NICU. I had to hang on to the hopes, and dreams as dim as they may have seemed at the time. My faith and prayers gave me the hope to go on and assured me that there would be light at the end of that long dark tunnel.

As each day goes by now, I still continue to hold on to higher hopes for my Alex and my self. I have to: otherwise, I will wither away. I know these positive thoughts are funneling unto her and thus making her stronger and better every day..

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved

No comments: