Friday, October 12, 2007

Happiness..

I was driving my mom home this morning when she brought to my attention a very powerful comment. She said, “Alex is a very happy child. You can see that very clearly”.
That one comment sent me in a whirlwind of thoughts. What is happiness anyway? In our daily lives, happiness has become so commercial and materialistic. It is unfortunate that “things” make us happy. Children nowadays can’t be satisfied no matter how many toys or gadgets the parents bought. They are constantly bored and always needing more.

That is not the case with a special child. My daughter’s happiness stems from the fact that she is so loved and she knows it. A strong caring family surrounds her. We will do anything for her. The simple act of just cuddling her and watching TV or listening to music, is all that is needed to make her smile. To her, happiness is not the need for a new toy or clothes; it is a state of true love and togetherness. Her joy is seen daily in her smile and actions. It is that pure innocence that she exhibits that assures me that I have succeeded as her mom..

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: