Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The True Me..


http://njministries.org/njm/ecards.html

Several years ago a neighbor told me that I was very strong. I was attending college at the time and sharing an apartment with my sister. It always seemed like my sister would be the strong one, after all, she was more outgoing, assertive and exuberant. My neighbor would insist that I had an inner strength that will one day surface. I didn’t believe her at the time even though she held a Ph.D. in psychology, what does academics know about my personality any way, I knew me and that’s that..

Since my daughter’s birth, my neighbor’s words come back to me constantly. One of the biggest lessons that Alex has taught me is how to allow my strong side to emerge. I never believed that I’d have it in me to be assertive and aggressive on many occasions as I fight for her needs. As a special mom we are our child’s only advocate in this harsh environment we call our world. Even the most timid of our species transforms into a Lioness when the need calls and it is always calling. Never a day goes by without some sort of a medical, educational or other service suffers cuts that affect our kids with special needs. Never a day goes by without our exercising our strength as we continue our journey to help our kids. Thank you Alex for bringing out the true me..

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: