Sunday, October 7, 2007

Grandparents' Love..

Grandparents and grandchildren,
Together they create a chain of love
Linking the past,With the future.
The chain may lengthen,
But it will never part.
-Author Unkown-


My daughter, Alexandra, and I had a wonderful weekend. We spent it with my parents who live about 40 minutes away. We tend to do that often. As a matter of fact, after Alex came home from NICU back in 1999, we were forced to move in with my parents for a few months in order than they can help me with the baby.
During those early days, it was very tough to take care of a child who, for 24 hours was hooked to an Oxygen tank, feeding pump and an apnea monitor. The equipment and wires were all that you could view since Alex was still very small at that time. You see, at 10 months of age, my baby was still only 4 pounds; she couldn’t sit up or hold her head up to support herself and sole existence depended on those attachments. The Oxygen tank weighed more than her at that time.
It became obvious that I had needed my parents help to take care of my child and they never failed me. They had always been there for the past nine years. I couldn’t have done it without mainly God’s help and then my parents..

Things have changed so much since those early days of Alex’s homecoming. I am very glad that those days are long gone in our past. We now concentrate on our future. My daughter gets so excited as soon as I drive into the town were my parents live. She claps her hands and laughs as we enter the road leading to their house. Alexandra, who once couldn’t sit her self up until she was nearly two, now gets out of the car and skips along their driveway to get to the door and knocks. The child who was once buried by wires and tubes, now pushes their door and makes sure that she is receiving that first hug and kiss from grandma and grandpa. She shines under their care.

It is true what the above poem says about the strong bond between grandparents and grandchildren. It is a special bond that cannot be replaced or created; it is just born out of love and affection. It was unfortunate for me that I missed out on my grandparent’s love. I want to make sure that my daughter doesn’t miss an opportunity with hers..

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: