Sunday, September 9, 2007

Time Out...

I just finished reading an Internet article that described so clearly how I felt this morning when Alex was put in time-out. It seemed as if this article was written just for me as it described my insecurities towards this time-out situation. As a mom of a special needs kid, I tend to be overprotective when it comes to disciplining Alex. I’ve been told that she has her mommy wrapped around her little pinky finger and knows just how to push my buttons to get what she wants. I am slowly beginning to realize that as I aim at setting firmer rules and limits to what she can and cannot do. I’ve had to talk to therapists and read article to determine how on earth to deal with discipline with a special needs child, specially, one being so cute but so stubborn and strong willed. My quest led me to this article and I summarize here the steps that I found helpful in clearing the situation:
1. Do discipline your child but have realistic expectation based on your child’s developmental age.
2. Be consistent in your discipline methods.
3. Have a plan of action, so think ahead, before an incidence occurs so you are prepared for the proper discipline.
4. Keep the child on a daily structured routine.
5. Set limits and rules for the child.
6. Stay calm and reinforce good behavior.
The full article can be found at: Discipline and Special Needs Kids. With all that in mind, I still felt my heart breaking while my daughter completed her time-out in her bedroom for misbehaving this morning. All I wanted to do was go in there and hug her but my not caving in to my emotions did pay off when she acted so much better the rest of the day after her time-out was over…

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: