Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Calling it Quits...

When Alex came home from the NICU 8 years ago, she used to have a terrible time falling asleep in the evening. I would have to cradle her, and rock her while I paced our home for hours on end until she was able to transition from her day and surrender unto the slumber of sleep. After years of therapy, some conventional and others alternative, and more growth combined with a whole lot of love, she seemed to get better. She would climb into bed and, as long as I was with her cradling her, she would start sucking her thumb and drift away. I had actually forgotten these difficulties until last night when she had that same incident occur. She was inconsolable and could not get calm enough to go to sleep. Being older, and heavier, I just couldn’t rock her like I used to. I found it rather frustrating, as a mom to just stand on the sideline unable to fix whatever was bothering my child. I had to just watch her run from one end of the room to the next until she finally called it quits and settled down hours later. Moms are supposed to make it all better, but when those times come that are beyond my control, I have to learn that there is only so much I can do. I have to leave the rest to sort itself out…

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: