Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Kodak Moment..

I about fell off when I turned around and saw my Alex’s mouth all blue. I had just looked away for a few minutes when her little hand had grabbed the ball of blue lint that was sitting on top of our clothes dryer. It was rather a surprise for me to see her putting this in her mouth and attempt to eat it like mashed potatoes. Of course, I didn’t have my camera ready to document this astonishing event. You see, my daughter doesn’t, nor shows any interest in eating food by mouth. For the past 8 ½ years she has been receiving all her nutrition by a gastrostomy tube that is permanently inserted in her stomach. She has never before shown any interest in eating anything. The many years of constant Oral-Motor exercises have not produced any changes in her Oral skill or desire for food. I keep trying to feed her daily though in the hopes that one day she will eat either fully or even partially by mouth. Maybe the Lint experience is a start of a good thing!! I may have to try blue mashed potatoes.. Lets wait and see what tomorrow brings..

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Najwa,

I've enjoyed reading every single one of your messages. Some brought tears to my eyes, others smiles but every single one brought a deep sense of admiration.

What a courageous human being you are.

God's design is so ever mysterious. She brought you and Alex together for a reason that may appear difficult to understand, but it seems to be unfolding right about now.

Keep that pen rolling!

With much love,

Miriam