Monday, November 12, 2007

My Daughter's Gift..

When I was a little girl my dad wanted me to become a writer. I hated writing, but in order to please him I took many writing courses by correspondence. I must admit that all these courses helped shape my writing in college. I excelled in my papers but still never thought that one day I’d do it voluntarily.

Lo and behold, one day my daughter Alex was born and everything changed in terms of my writing. Her entire existence brings out all kinds of emotions in me. It all started out at the NICU when I would sit by her incubator and write in a journal for her. The words were my anchor. They brought me hope and strength as I waited patiently for the light at the end of the tunnel. Eight months in the NICU is a long wait for any mom. The words kept me busy. Soon, several of the NICU nurses were contributing to her journal. This small book proved to become the meeting place for anyone who wanted to pour their emotions for Alex. She touched so many hearts. It was hard not to get involved with this tiny little girl that was proving to everyone that she was truly: “Mighty, Might”.

Years later I am back writing again, this time in this blog. I find it very therapeutic to be able to pour out my feelings. I have developed a strong bond to each and every article that I have created. I finally understand the joy of writing. The freedom I experience, as I mold each word and sentence in any way I feel, is exhilarating. It is as if Alex is now shaping my life to become the writer that my dad always wanted me to be.

It’s truly strange how the world turns..

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: