Friday, November 16, 2007

The Love Of My Life..

If there is one thing that I’ve learned by being a special mom is never to let my guard down when it comes to my daughter Alex. It is hard to remember this when our special kids are medically stable. We think that the picture is rosy and all will always be well. We either forget or bury the uncertainties in order to experience somewhat of a normalcy in our family life.

This has been the case for a dear friend of mine. Her special needs daughter has needed emergency medical attention at a specialized pediatric hospital this week. She came within minutes of needing a “Tracheotomy”. My friend has been very distraught. I heard the fear, anger and helplessness in her voice as she told me yesterday that her daughter is, and I quote:”She is the love of my Life. I couldn’t bear to lose her”. My heart was breaking for her anguish since the most I could do was offer words of support and encouragement. I could almost feel the fear in my friend's voice since I had felt this with Alex many times in the past.

It is without doubt that my encouraging words for her came from God. The situation was so grave that it was difficult for me to remain as strong as I did for her sake. My words came from the heart. They came from the soul of another special mom who understood. They were derived from years of anguish, stress and fear, but most of all they emerged from such strong love that cannot be surmounted.

It was thrilling to hear much better news about my friend’s child today. Her condition is improving slowly. The joy in her mother’s voice is intense. Her life was given back to her. God has definitely been watching over her and her precious child. He, yet again, has created a miracle..

My friend was so right. When God entrusts us with a special child, that child becomes “The love of our lives”..

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: