Tuesday, January 29, 2008

When My Daughter Prays..

My faith has always played a very important part in my life. I had always dreamt that I would teach my children to pray; take them to church; get involved in bible studies and all the other normal mommy-child activities that develop as the children grow. I was never prepared for the premature birth of my daughter, her long hospital stay followed by years of medical visits and endless therapies. All these detours definitely put a halter on my original plans.

Needless to say, I remained strong in my faith. I believe that it pulled me through the challenges, disappointments and gave me hope. It allowed me to see a light at the end of a very dark and long tunnel called special-needs. As I travel through this journey, I realize that I must have something to hold on to and that something happens to be my faith.

In spite of the changes in my plans, I sought at an early age to teach my daughter to pray. Special-needs or not, she was to get to know God in as best a capacity as she can understand. I feel that her innocence and purity of spirit will allow her to become that much closer to God.

One of the most precious moments that we share is her bedtime prayer. It has taken years of repetition and hand on hand training to bring her to the point of imitating the sign of the cross. It warms my heart when she smacks her little palm against her forehead in her attempt to start her prayer. She knows then to put her fist to her chest as she continues until the final clasping of both her little hands to affirm her “Amen”. These few gestures that she does may be more than many normal people may know or even attempt to do. She smiles joyfully when I tell her that it is time to say “In The Name Of The Father”. I know deep down that she realizes what that means to both her and me. She senses the strength behind the words and the emotions that comes from years of praying for her safety and health. She may not be verbal but she sure knows how to pray!!

©Copyright 2008.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

Princess said...

How precious the time you and your daughter share is. God bless you. Thank you for sharing your story.

Dancingsouls said...

How wonderful it is that you're so dedicated to God and to teaching your little one all about him and how to pray. It's so sweet watching a child pray.

Green & Clean Mom said...

I would love it if you could post some bedtime prayers for little ones. My husband are starting this with our little guy. Were catholic and trying to reconnect with our faith and religion and want our children to understand more and learn.

N.Hirn said...

Thank you for the comment. How wonderful that your family is starting a tradition with your son.
I will definitley post some prayers or links for you in the next few days. God bless you and your family.