Thursday, January 17, 2008

When A Child Cares Enough To..

A few months ago I had posted about the special friendship that my daughter, Alexandra, had found in a little girl we met at a local library.
See postings (08-30-07 and 09-27-07)

This special bond continues to blossom and progress into a dear relationship that I hope my daughter will have for a long time to come. It has been a great experience that has allowed Alex to blend right in and enjoy the normal child’s play that every child should have had growing up. In her situation, her special needs combined with the past years spent in medical clinics had deprived her of this childhood playtime.

As the holidays came to an end, I was thrilled to be able to reunite my daughter with her friend once more when we started our weekly library ritual last Thursday afternoon. It was great to see our friend but I was very surprised when I found her less 10” of hair. You see, my daughter’s friend had very long hair last year. It was a bigger surprised when I asked her why she cut it and she looked at me innocently and replied “to give it to the sick kids”. I felt tears swell in my eyes as I marveled at the care, love and selflessness that this one child has shown. I admired her family who had instilled such deep values in her to allow her to think about all the other suffering children out there who need help. I came to see why she adores my child and keeps her as a friend. I began to understand why she takes her by the hand, reads to her and enjoys her company.
I’ve always believed in guardian angles, and at that moment I felt that I had seen my daughter’s angel in front of me..

For more information about hair donations for sick children please visit the following sites:
Wigs for Kids and Locks of Love

©Copyright 2008.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Najwa!! I didn't know you had a blog...well I'll add to my favorite blogs to read! I miss you, and hope all is well. Kiss Alex for me!

- Reta