Monday, December 10, 2007

I Believe In Santa..

Having faith in Santa Claus

Is not for just the young,

I know I'll keep proclaiming him

As long as I've a tongue.

And even though I see the gent

Unmasked before my eyes,

Revealing some familiar friend

Who's donned the quaint disguise,

It doesn't change my mind a bit;

I'll still believe, because

There's more than whiskers and a suit

To dear old Santa Claus;

Bright hopes there are,

And dreams come true,

Good cheer, unselfish sharing

Personified by gifts of love

Within the pack he's bearing.

To call these angels "Santa Claus"

Is surely not deceiving,

So I, for one, will never scoff

But go right on believing.

-author unkown-

I had the opportunity to witness one of the most amazing sights today. I watched the faces of special needs kids’ light up as they sat on Santa’s lap and received a Christmas present. This was not a mall event, but rather an event that took place at my daughter’s school this morning. I was fortunate enough this year to be invited by the teacher to come by and watch as my Alex collected her gift.

I cannot begin to express the emotions that went through me as I watched all those kids. Tears of joy rolled down my cheeks uncontrollably as each child smiled and hugged Santa Claus while holding their precious wrapped box to dear life.

The moment came when it was my daughter’s turn to receive her gift. My surprise and pride was insurmountable as I observed her walking to Santa. She tolerated the event so well, sitting on his lap just like all the other children. It was a moment that I wouldn’t trade for the world. A moment of hope and admiration at this small child that has become my life. A moment of dreams coming true and a belief in a bright future that may come our way.

What a noble thing it is for someone to bring such joy to special kids. My hats and thanks go out to Santa who was able to give each child a few moments of normalcy and happiness. Who said there was no Santa anyway!!

©Copyright 2007.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: