Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Granny..

One of the most prominent gifts that my daughter, Alexandra, has given me is the chance to meet and befriend people whom I wouldn’t have otherwise come across. There is always a reason for everything and one of the reasons for Alex being here is to fill my life with her joy as well as the joy of a circle of friends I hold so dear to my heart.

One of the dearest friends I have met because of Alex, is someone I call “Granny”. This particular “Granny” is not my grandmother but just a dear friend. She came into our lives one day, nine years ago and succeeded in holding a special place in our hearts.
The bonds and memories we have created these past years truly amaze me. I don’t see how we can share similar interests and laugh at similar incidences when my “granny” friend is more than forty years older than me.

Aside from the fact that we shared similar knowledge about premature infants, “Granny” has truly showen us true love, frienship and sacrifice beyond words. She is always there to lend whatever help she can whether it being physical or supportive. I can never forget her immense help and contribution to the fund-raising garage sale I conducted for my daughter a few years ago. In spite of the fact that she was in her eighties and suffered a bad back, she was there every step of the way. She not only carried and priced sale items, but also encouraged her circle of friends to donate to a worthy cause and thus contributed to the success of this garage sale event. When asked "why?", she would reply "I want this child to have the medical care she needs." -this child - being my special-needs daughter, Alexandra.

This act of kindness is hard to find nowadays.

It is true that we meet so many people along our life’s path. I am just blessed that my path led me to “Granny”..

©Copyright 2008.Najwa S. Hirn. All rights reserved.

No comments: